West Papua police name 19 suspects in Kisor attack case
Manokwari, West Papua (ANTARA) – West Papua police named 19 suspects in the September 2 attack on the Kisor military post in South Aifat subdistrict, Maybrat district, which resulted in the death of four soldiers.
Two of the suspects have been taken into custody, while a hunt has been launched for 17 others, West Papua police spokesman Adam Erwindi told local reporters on Friday.
Related News: West Papua Police Chief Condemns Killing of Kisor Soldiers
The two suspects in custody were identified by their initials MY (20) and MS (18). MY is a resident of Boksu village, while MS is a resident of Insum village in South Aifat sub-district, he said.
Police have launched a manhunt for Silas Ki, Manfred Fatem, Musa Aifat, Setam Kaaf, Titus Sewa, Irian Ki, Alfin Fatem, Agus Kaaf, Melkias Ki, Melkias Same, Amos Ki, Musa Aifat, Moses Aifat, Martinus Aisnak, Yohanes Yaam, Agus Yaam and Robi Yaam, he added.
West Papua Police disclosed the names of the other 17 suspects based on the confessions of MY and MS to investigators at the South Sorong Police Station, Erwindi informed.
Related News: Okmin University Fuels Hopes for Human Resource Development in Papua
Early last Thursday (September 2, 2021), members of an unidentified terrorist group ambushed several soldiers as they slept at the Kisor military post.
Four soldiers, 2nd Sergeant Amrosius, 1st Private Dirham, 1st Private Zul Ansari and 1st Lieutenant Dirman, died in the attack, while two others were seriously injured.
The bodies of three soldiers were found at the post, while the body of another soldier was discovered in the bushes not far from the post.
Due to the incident, several local residents had fled their homes for safety reasons.
Erwindi further revealed that the ambush was carefully planned and organized by members of the West Papua National Committee operating in the Kisor neighborhood of Maybrat district.
Related news: W Papua: soldier injured in ambush evacuated to military hospital in Jakarta
Therefore, the police classified the assault as a premeditated crime by the KNPB-Kisor chapter, led by Silas Ki, he said.
A joint team of members of the Indonesian military and national police will continue their efforts to arrest all perpetrators, he added.
To that end, local residents are urged to notify security personnel if they have any information on the whereabouts of the suspects, Erwindi said.
Referring to the September 2 attack, West Papua Governor Dominggus Mandacan previously called on residents of Kisor village to help security personnel capture the killers of the four soldiers.
Related News: Bodies Multiply in Papua as Counterterrorism Continues
Mandacan, who visited the scene of the shooting on September 4, 2021, also called on villagers from Kisor who had fled into the forest to return home and resume normal life.
“The villagers do not need to panic or take refuge in the forest because the government is working with the army and the police to ensure public safety and security,” he said.
The assault on the Kisor military post in West Papua added to the list of cases of gun violence in Papua and highlighted the grave danger posed by Papuan separatist terrorists.
Related news: West Papua: TNI urges refugees to return home
Related News: Army personnel protect refugees from armed Papuan terrorists