Papuan separatists kill four Indonesian soldiers
Four soldiers were killed by separatist rebels on September 2 in an attack on a military post in the troubled West Papua province of Indonesia.
Dozens of rebels attacked the pre-dawn post in Kisor in Maybrat district while the soldiers were still sleeping.
Four soldiers died and two others were seriously injured in the attack.
Local military commander Major General I Nyoman Cantiasa said at least 50 separatists armed with machetes, axes and arrows attacked the soldiers.
âFive soldiers managed to escape and military units are now hunting down the perpetrators,â Cantiasa said.
The attack was seen as revenge for the army’s arrest of five separatists last week. Among those arrested was Wusama sub-district chief Etius Baye, suspected of helping finance the rebels.
This action was part of our war to liberate Papua. It won’t stop and more attacks will come anytime
The other four were believed to have killed two construction workers last week in Yahukimo district.
The West Papua National Liberation Army and the Free Papua Movement (TPNPB-OPM) subsequently claimed responsibility for the attacks.
âThis action was part of our war to liberate Papua. It will not stop and more attacks will occur at any time, âSebby Sambom, spokesperson for the group, said in a statement.
The violence was the latest in a series of rebel attacks over the past year that left dozens of deaths among rebels, civilians and members of the Indonesian security forces.
Thank you. You are now subscribed to the daily newsletter
Meanwhile, security forces have been accused of controlling Papua with an iron fist, further alienating the local population.
The rebels want Papua to free itself from Indonesia, which took control of the region in 1969 following a UN-sponsored referendum that many residents have called a sham.
Theo Hesegem, executive director of the Papua Justice and Human Integrity Foundation, called on Indonesian President Joko Widodo to âhear the voices and cries of the families of the victimsâ and to put a negotiated end to the violence.
Crackdown and harsh law enforcement will not solve the problems and will only make matters worse, he told UCA News. “It is better to have a dialogue,” he said.
Support UCA Newsâ¦
â¦ .As we move into the final months of 2021, we ask readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For 40 years, UCA News has remained Asia’s most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service. Each week, we publish nearly 100 news exclusive and in-depth reports, features, commentary, podcasts and video broadcasts, and developed from a view of the world and of the Church through discerning Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as those of the quality press; we are particularly focused on a rapidly growing part of the world – Asia – where in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can meet – South Korea, Vietnam and India for n ‘to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters covering 23 countries in South, South-East and East Asia. We report the stories of the local people and their experiences in a way that the Western media simply does not have the resources to reach. And we report the dawning life of new Churches in ancient lands where being Catholic can sometimes be very dangerous.
With declining support from financial partners in Europe and the United States, we need to appeal for support from those who benefit from our work.
Click here to find out how you can support UCA News. You can tell the difference for as little as US $ 5 …