Falcons set MW record with program’s first win over San Jose State
Air Force Women’s Tennis earned a historic win over San Jose State in a Mountain West neutral site contest on Saturday afternoon at McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium in Albuquerque, NM. The Falcons, who won decisively at 4-0, earned their first-ever win over the Spartans and set a program record with their fifth win at Mountain West.
The victory took the Falcons to 16-6, 5-3 MW on the season. All five conference wins have come on the road/at neutral sites this season.
Air Force opened with a pair of doubles wins at Nos. 1 and 3 to get the point. Alex Kuo and Hailey Stelse won at No. 3 over Villan Pereira/Iglesias 6-0. Vivian Glozman and Karina Chao won at No. 1 over Pedrero Galindo/Marco Mas 6-2 to clinch the point.
“It’s impressive to break the Division I record for wins in the Mountain West Conference given that all five wins were on the road!” said the head coach Kim Gidley mentioned. “This victory came with different people winning at different times. Our No. 3 team of Kuo and Stelse won 6-0 for the first victory, followed by doubles No. 1s of Glozman and Chao. The doubles No. 2 de Flodin and Fitch led 5-2 and didn’t have time for the fence. They all did a great job of controlling the momentum.”
In singles, the Falcons carried on the momentum gained in the doubles win by going 3-0, to claim the victory. Air Force won in straight sets at No. 2, 3, and 6 in singles.
Kuo, the only senior to graduate, won at No. 6 over Olaya Bances Iglesias in straight sets 6-0, 6-1. Junior Sidney Fitch then won at No. 2 in straight sets over Irena Muradyan 6-2, 6-1. Freshman Alex Odom finished at No. 3 with a win over Rozalina Youseva in straight sets 6-3, 6-2.
“In singles, Alex (Kuo) got us started with the first singles win,” added Gidley. “It’s difficult for our No. 5 and 6 players because they often have to wait for games to be over before they even continue. The other fun game to watch to clinch was our No. 3 singles from Alexis Odome, who won the match in straight sets. Alexis was there so it was great to see her take the win and have other people having fun closing her out.”
The Air Force resumes operations Friday, April 22, welcoming San Diego State.
Air Force vs. San Jose State – AF 4-0
1. Vivian Glozman/Karina Chao (AF) def. Alba Pedrero Galindo/Lara Marco Mas (SJSU) 6-2
2. Irena Muradyan/Rozalina Youseva (SJSU) vs. Sidney Fitch/Isabelle Flodin (AF) 2-5, unfinished
3. Alex Kuo/Hailey Stelse (AF) def. R Villan Pereira/O Bances Iglesias (SJSU) 6-0
Order: 3, 1
1. Alba Pedrero Galindo (SJSU) vs. Vivian Glozman (AF) 2-6, 6-3, unfinished
2. Sidney Fitch (AF) def. Irena Muradyan (SJSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alexis Odome (AF) def. Rozalina Youseva (SJSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. R Villan Pereira (SJSU) against. Karina Chao (AF) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
5. Lara Marco Mas (SJSU) against. Hailey Stelse (AF) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
6. Alex Kuo (AF) def. Olaya Bances Iglesias (SJSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order: 6, 2, 3